Hello,

pH by definition (and as measured) is a negative log of 'apparent concentration' of protons in the solution.

In a simplified version, 'apparent concentration', aka 'activity' is a function of the 'activity coefficient' times theoretical concentration.

The activity coefficient is not a constant, it depends on many little things. The major factor is the ion itself (proton in the case of pH discussion), but it also depends on the solution's ionic strength, temperature, organic solvent(s) content, presence and concentration of non-dissociating compounds etc., etc. In case of pure water, it's just properties of proton itself, and the temperature (atmospheric pressure is a factor too, but very minor).

Most importantly, the properties of proton are such that it's activity coefficient is significantly greater than 1.

For this reason, pure water is NOT neutral, it is slightly acidic (proton IS an acid), and the pH value of pure water is around 5.6

If everything is perfect, the value that you read from a pH meter should be around 5.6 if the water is as pure as it's expected to come out of the milliQ. However, the reading also depends on many little things: temperature, pressure, air quality, the electrode's age, the level, quality, composition and the age the reference (filling) solution, quality and electric connections of your pH meter, quality and age of your calibration buffers, method of calibration, pH meter stability, internal firmware and/or software, etc., etc., etc.

And, in addition, water is NOT a buffer, so the reading will fluctuate even with tiny environmental changes. Just shake the water with the electrode in it and observe the reading change.

In practice, if your pH reading of pure water is between 5 and 6, the water is just fine. Assuming the electrode is calibrated correctly, washed extremely well and was sitting in your water sample for at least 10-15 minutes, you should be a lot more concerned if the measured pH is above 6. If this is the case, your milliQ needs service very urgently (the water contains salts). If your reading is below 5, boil the water, cool down in a tightly closed tube and measure again. If the reading goes to around 5.6 your water is fine, but you need to worry a little about the lab's air (high level of CO2 as in cell culture labs, or if there is a bin with dry ice around, and also if HCl is used around to adjust pH of buffers). However, if after boiling pH stays below 5, them milliQ also needs a service.

Hope this helps.

Dmitry Bochkariov, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
Advansta Inc.