To he honest I don't know why the DATABASE setting is left in settings.py,
it definitely can be confusing.

I believe the reason databases are not synced by the fabfile is because
that's not a very common (or advised) operation. Most of the time
developers want to keep production and development DBs completely
separated. However, I can think of a few situations where this could be
useful, and the general algorithm for a Fabric task would be:

   1. Run pg_dump in your dev machine, output to file.
   2. Upload file to the project folder in the server.
   3. (Optional) Backup current production DB.
   4. Run pg_restore in the server from the latest uploaded SQL dump.