Hey laperal,

Near the bottom of settings.py you see

try:
    from local_settings import *
except ImportError:
    pass

You could probably do something similar to import things from your app.

You only need to unregister/register if you want to change the admin class
and use your own.

I wrote that blog post, so that is the way that I would do it.  You would
probably want something like (it could go inside an admin.py file):

from mezzanine.galleries.admin import GalleryImageInline

GalleryImageInline.fields += ['your_new_field]

The code above may not be exactly right, but you would want something along
those lines.

The other option is to unregister/register a new class for Gallery.