Thanks a lot Ed for kicking this off, and thanks to everyone for all the
translation offers! This is really exciting.

I've started off by skimming the resources Ed mentioned and I think I've
come up with an initial workflow. It looks very similar to how we currently
translate all the strings in Mezzanine itself. First up I've made some
tweaks here that just adds the right config bits in place and ignores any
files that are generated as part of the translation process:
https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/commit/e3a96441ff25f865300d53411f36ac0696d3525a

So with an up-to-date copy of the repo, the steps so far seem to be as
follows:

$ pip install sphinx sphinx-intl <-- install these packages
$ cd docs <-- run the next commands from within the docs dir
$ sphinx-build -b gettext . locale <-- generates all the .pot files that
convert the docs into individual translatable strings
$ sphinx-intl update -p locale -l es <-- generates all the .po files (like
with Django) for the "es" locale, these are the files you edit/commit

In case it's not obvious, don't run all the above literally, I commented
each line prefixed with "<--". Once we have the first language done, I'll
work out the remaining process for generating HTML and hosting all the
languages on the project site with some kind of language chooser.

PS: My opinion would be to not bother with transifex at this stage - it's
caused problems with Mezzanine so far in that people (including myself) are
confused about the process, whether they have to use it or can just commit
directly to the repo, when do translations go from transifex to the repo,
does the reverse need to happen, etc. It's just one big extra mental
dependency and I feel like the convenience in actually doing the
translations (web interface vs text files) outweighs the overhead.

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Diego Ponci <dgo.ponci...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be more than happy to help with Portuguese (Brazilian) translations.
>

> On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:55:51 AM UTC-3, Andrzej Grymkowski wrote:
>>
>> I may try in translate the docs to Polish.
>>
>> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 7:19:20 PM UTC+2, Eduardo Rivas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone. I've been speaking with another member of the
>>> Spanish-speaking Mezzanine community (Jesús Anaya) and he came up with
>>> several ideas to boost Mezzanine's popularity in said language, one of
>>> which is translating the official docs. Of course, this opens the gates for
>>> other languages too and I believe it'll mark a milestone for Mezzanine as a
>>> project.
>>>
>>> My questions are:
>>>
>>>    - Are there other developers in other languages interested in
>>>    translating the docs?
>>>    - How should we do this? Separate repos? PRs to Steve's repo?
>>>
>>> Any advice in documentation-writing in general is welcome :) Thanks!
>>>
>>  --

Stephen McDonald
http://jupo.org