Nevermind, I was not using the best keywords to search the forum. My
apologies. It looks like the current approaches are 1. try Josh's 95%
complete solution (Thanks Josh). 2 Integrate and app like django-domains
and use that instead of HOST_THEMES

https://bitbucket.org/stephenmcd/mezzanine/pull-requests/35/site_theme-loader/