In my case a unique base template per site is not necessary .  A
combination of refactoring out the base site/template at a much broader
level  - passing in the entire body from the child sites - and using
includes in the child sites to keep the sites modular, seemed to do the
trick. It looks like the base site template can easily be used for meta
data and mezzanine settings.

Using the Django debug tool bar to get a visual on where the child
site/templates were being inherited from made the task easier.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers