On Sunday 16 March 2003 06:48, Willy741 wrote:

> > Hi all,
>
>  I was at the first meeting and thought the turn out was great. I have a
> printer question. I have a windows XP box with a usb Epson 785epx photo
> printer attached to it. I also have a RH 7.2 box that I want to print form.
> I have samba installed and can mount drives in RH from my XP box. I use
> linneighborhood and can see the XP box and printer. I have spent many hours
> trying to get this to work. I tried using CUPS. When configuring cups
> through the browser window I get an error client-error-not-possible. I
> tried using swat. Still no go. Any help would be appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance
> Bill
>

The only problem you might have with using CUPS to connect to a printer
on a Windows box is getting the URI correct.

Since you mentioned that you got a browser message I will assume that you
are using the CUPS web interface to add the printer.  I would recommend that 
you try instead kups for configuring the printer when using SMB to interface 
with Windows. The reason is that the printer configuration process has a 
query capability that the CUPS browser configuration doesn't. This is 
especially useful when interfacing with Windows 2000 or possibly XP as
they may need a userid and password which the kups interface will allow
you to enter and then verify when scanning the network.

The normal CUPS URI for Samba is: smb://HOST/PRINTER

On my LAN I have a Windows 2000 system (dual boot) and the kups 
interface works as expected. Using the kups print a test page I can
get to the printer.

You might want to consider using IPP (which is supported by 
Windows 2000 and possibly XP) instead of SMB since it is more 
secure and it can associate the correct userid and password with 
print jobs. Using SMB the userid and password are the one you 
use to make the connection and will be what is on the header page 
if you turn that feature on in Windows.

Tim

-- 
Timothy R. Fesig ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to