Gary Pagliaro wrote:

Decided to try and install Gentoo on my Athalon 1800 this weekend. Everything seemed to go well, until I installed Grub. I got the Grub boot/splash screen, booted into Windows fine.Then I tried Gentoo, and got "kernel panic - unable to mount filesystem" I know I probably screwed up the syntax of the grub.conf file. I tried editing the Grub boot from the splash screen, but now neither Gentoo or Windows will boot. I know I can FDISK /MBR and nuke Grub, but I want to try and get back in. If I boot off the Gentoo Stage3 install disk, can I get to root and edit my grub.conf file ? I am fairly new to this, and would appreciate all help, TIA Gary



Sounds reasonable, particularly as this describes the gentoo install process. I just went through the gentoo install on my Ultra SPARC over the weekend.

I would boot the system off of the cdrom, configure the network, skip the fdisk and make of the filesystems and swap space, swapon, mount your filesystems and then chroot.



Jim Doherty

_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug






_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to