>From the New York Times,
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/22/technology/22JOBS.html?hp

I.B.M. Explores Shift of White-Collar Jobs Overseas
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE


With American corporations under increasing pressure to cut
costs and build global supply networks, two senior I.B.M.
officials told their corporate colleagues around the world in a
recorded conference call that I.B.M. needed to accelerate its
efforts to move white-collar, often high-paying, jobs overseas
even though that might create a backlash among politicians and
its own employees.

During the call, I.B.M's top employee relations executives said
that three million service jobs were expected to shift to
foreign workers by 2015 and that I.B.M. should move some of its
jobs now done in the United States, including software design
jobs, to India and other countries.

"Our competitors are doing it and we have to do it," Tom Lynch,
I.B.M.'s director for global employee relations, said in the
call.
...
Forrester Research, a high-technology consulting group, [...]
estimated that 450,000 computer industry jobs could be
transferred abroad in the next 12 years, representing 8 percent
of the nation's computer jobs. 
...
In the hourlong I.B.M. conference call, which took place in
March, the company's executives were particularly worried that
the trend could spur unionization efforts.

The I.B.M. executives also warned that when workers from China
come to the United States to learn to do technology jobs now
being done here, some American employees might grow enraged
about being forced to train the foreign workers who might
ultimately take away their jobs.
...
Those concerns were pointedly raised on June 18, when the House
Small Business Committee held a hearing on "The Globalization
of White-Collar Jobs: Can America Lose These Jobs and Still
Prosper?"

"Increased global trade was supposed to lead to better jobs and
higher standards of living," said Donald A. Manzullo, an
Illinois Republican who is the committee chairman. "The
assumption was that while lower-skilled jobs would be done
elsewhere, it would allow Americans to focus on higher-skilled,
higher-paying opportunities. But what do you tell the Ph.D., or
professional engineer, or architect, or accountant, or computer
scientist to do next? Where do you tell them to go?"
...
"You can get crackerjack Java programmers in India right out of
college for $5,000 a year versus $60,000 here," said Stephanie
Moore, vice president for outsourcing at Forrester Research.
"The technology is such, why be in New York City when you can
be 9,000 miles away with far less expense?"

=====
Opinions herein are exclusively my own, unless you share them.
Kevin Calman, codex24 at yahoo dot com, Austin, TX, US
_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to