Thanks for all the replies, and I think Reiner was right, but trying to
figure it out I somehow killed my primary Windows partition. So now I
get to spend the next few days installing 2 OS's. Fun Fun Fun



Gary Wrote:
Decided to try and install Gentoo on my Athalon 1800 this weekend. =
Everything seemed to go well, until I installed Grub. I got the Grub =
boot/splash screen, booted into Windows fine.Then I tried Gentoo, and
got =
"kernel panic - unable to mount filesystem" I know I probably screwed
up =
the syntax of the grub.conf file. I tried editing the Grub boot from
the =
splash screen, but now neither Gentoo or Windows will boot. I know I
can =
FDISK /MBR and nuke Grub, but I want to try and get back in. If I boot
off
=
the Gentoo Stage3 install disk, can I get to root and edit my grub.conf
=
file ? I am fairly new to this, and would appreciate all help,=20
TIA=20
Gary


I installed Gento a couple of months ago and using it at home. I got
the
same thing the first time around and thought it was my grub.conf. As
it
turned out, I was using reiserfs for my root partition and when I went
back
using the bootable gentoo cd, apparently I had forgotten to check
reiserfs
support in my kernel configuration. So when your boot from the cd,
check
that all the filesystems you are using are in the kernel
configuration.

Renier



_______________________________________________
mhvlug mailing list - http://mhvlug.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://lists.dague.net/mailman/listinfo/mhvlug

Reply via email to