There's been a lot of talk about editing hosts files, but I've found a
nice solution: NameServer.lha from Aminet.  Basically, it's a dumb caching
nameserver that you run as a standalone daemon on the Amiga.  Then, you
set your Windows (or other similarly broken) machines to use the Amiga as
the primary DNS.  The NameServer executable, named, then tries to first
resolve requests against the *Amiga's* host file, then queries the DNS
servers configured in the *Amiga's* stack.

The beauty of this is that you only have to configure hosts on the Amiga,
then those entries are automagically propogated to the other machines.
Furthermore, if the Amiga is your gateway machine, and it's currently
disconnected from your upstream provider, then you can still resolve all
of your host database entries.

I'm not saying that everyone's going to like this solution, but I've been
using it for several weeks now, and it works perfectly for me!
--
Kirk Strauser