Hello Fred

On 05-Sep-99, you wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Paul Kaufman wrote:
>
>> Hosts and lmhosts are technically different. One is for the netbios name
>> and one is for the computer name to be mapped to an IP address. By
>> default the hostname and the computer name are the same, but this can
>> legally be changed (why anyone would want to is beyond me) See, this MCSE
>> crap CAN be valid in real life... [8')
>
> Yes, but according to the MS documentation both of them precede DNS in the
> pecking order, and hence an entry in either one should avoid the need for
> DoD-triggering DNS lookups, which was the original goal.

The documentation seems to be as crappy as the OS. I have the following
files:
in C:\Windows Lmhosts with the following entry:
192.168.1.1    AMIGA.amiga

and in C:\Windows\Sytem\Hosts the following entry
192.168.1.1 AMIGA.amiga

but the PC still does not find AMIGA.amiga:-( Anyhow, using an host alias in
MiamiDX and always running nmbd on the Amiga site at least avoids the
permanent dial ups.

Raimund

--
Experience is directly proportional to the value of equipment destroyed.
-- Carolyn Scheppner