Hi!

I am currently writing an article about home networking and internet
routing for a german Amiga print magazine.

I setup IPNAT + automatic firewall, also with exceptions, with MiamiDx
about half a dozen of times already. IPNAT always did all I wanted.

But in the article I can easily also show on how to use SOCKS, doesn't
seem to be that complicated either, but you seem to have to configure
one or several clients for it.

The MiamiDx.guide describes this quite good. But it does not really
describe what IPNAT and SOCKS does and where actually the difference
between them is (beside that client stuff). Any good online resources for
some background informations? I would like to give a short definition for
each method and advantages, disadvantages.

I do not like to tell the reader... all well Socks? oh click this gadget,
what does it do and how? configure your client, dunno, will work. ;-)
Okay, for some this may be enough, but Amiga users are different, are
they?

This is the damn thing about MiamiDx. You actually do not need to know
what you are doing, cause MiamiDx does it for you. But a little background
could not harm I think, and my background knowledge about SOCKS is next to
nothing, a little bit better it is with IPNAT.

And then I might figure out, why anyone would want to have Socks anyway
;-). I always only used IPNAT.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald  - http://helios.home.pages.de
PGP: http://home.pages.de/~helios/autor/wie-erreichen.html