On 21 Apr 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Fred Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb am Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:16:08 -0700 (PDT) über
> "[MiamiDx] Re: IPNAT versus SOCKS" in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > IP-NAT operates at the packet level, modifying outgoing packets to make
>
> Thanks very much for your explaination. That is background info for that
> report. ;)

OK.  I take it you saw Holger's correction regarding UDP.

> NAT stands for Network Address Translation. I guess SOCKS isn't a
> abbreviation standing for a longer name or is it?

If it is it's a well-kept secret. :-)

> > 1) IP-NAT doesn't require any special software on the client machines,
> > while SOCKS does.  This support is available (mostly) transparently with
> > Miami 3.x or MiamiDx, but on other platforms it may be necessary to get
> > "SOCKSified" versions of applications.  In any case, specific
> > configuration is needed on each client system.
>
> So the SOCKS client in Miami is able to connect applications not
> supporting SOCKS by their own to the SOCKS server?

Yes.  There are a few circumstances where this might not work properly,
but in most cases it's reasonably transparent.  Since this is a standrad
protocol, the SOCKS client and server in Miami(Dx) interoperate with other
SOCKS client and server implementations as well.

> > Note that it's possible to enable both IP-NAT and SOCKS, using SOCKS for
> > cases where it works and IP-NAT for cases where it doesn't.  It would be
> > nice if there were a server-side option to avoid using SOCKS for ping
> > and traceroute in this case, but AFAIK there's no such option.
>
> So when I enable both SOCKS and IP-NAT then SOCKS is used for ping and
> traceroute?

AFAIK, yes.  This can be defeated from the client side with appropriate
entries in Database/Socks, but it would be cleaner to be able to control
it from the server side, since it's the server that knows whether NAT is
also available.

                                        Fred Wright