Greetings... Gian

On 04-May-00, Gian Maria Calzolari wrote:
> Dear all,

> I may be a little OT but I think many of you are using an ISDN TA so I'm
> writing here... :-)

> Now that I have MiamiDx I want to connect my Amiga with my brother's pc
> and share one internet connection.

> I would like to know which is the better *external* ISDN "modem" with
> fax support ("normal", not ISDN... is it called "group 3"?) and
> eventually an analog connection for a phone or another analog modem...

I would suggest an ISDN router rather than just a TA. The reason is that
you can then connect to it with an Ethernet card and pretty much bypass
any limits you might have on your serial port. An ISDN TA running with
both channels on and some sort of compression can hit 512 kbs, faster
than most serial cards can handle. But that's just around ~5% of the
capacity of a 10BaseT Ethernet card. If you shop around, I think you'll
find that ISDN routers are competively priced. Many include extras such
as 10BaseT ports, making them do double duty as hubs. Take a look at the
3Com Office Connect ISDN LAN Modem. Not only does it do router duties but
you can also send faxes through them (although this might only work with
Windows machines). It also doubles as 4 port, 10BaseT hub.

> Some friends told me Zyxel...

Zyxel also makes ISDN routers.

Fare thee well,
Carlos A. Tirado