On 13 May 2000, Frank Busse wrote:

> we want to network our Amigas at our 5-Years Amiga Freunde Pfalz
> Meeting and go online with my Amiga as Gateway with MiamiDx. At
> T-Online the users are identified at login and the user profil is
> linked with his IP as long the user is online. The User get identified
> at the POP3-, SMTP-, NNTP-Server and some URLs with his IP. No
> username or password is needed.
> How can I prevent the other users in the network at this meeting to
> connect to this Servers and some URLs? They should using the internet,
> but not some servers or URLs. Is this possible?

SMTP:

There isn't really a problem letting others use this.  The only reason it
isn't completely open is to keep spammers from using it to cover their
tracks.  All users of your ISP have access to this server.

NNTP:

Again, no problem.  The only reason for restricting it is to keep it from
being overloaded by outsiders.  All users of your ISP have access to this
server.

POP3:

This *should* be authenticated, since it provides access to your private
mailbox.  Some implementations allow "anonymous" access to certain kinds
of public messages, but if the server is allowing access to your mailbox
based on IP address alone, your ISP needs counseling.

URLs:

You'd have to be more specific.

Perhaps this is all just a sneaky way to make sure you don't share the
connection. :-)

                                        Fred Wright