I think this is a great idea.

In the context of my straw proposal, I imagine this working in a way
similar to the "item" property of hReview - we require that there be
something labeled as the item the citation refers to - at its
simplest, it can be the title, but it could also be an entire other
microformat, such as work-of-art.

This also seems to solve one problem I had with my proposal about how
to cite personal communication - you could have the 'item' be a vCard
for that person.

class="fn">Some artwork title</span></cite>

-mike

On 3/29/06, Breton Slivka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My suggestion: Modularize. Create a "Core" citation format, which is
> stripped down to the bone, containing only the common elements in all
> of those formats. Then add domain specific modules for the special
> cases, which only the domain experts need to worry about.
>
> With this, I think you've eliminated part of the problem in adoption
> of a large and ungainly format with hundreds of properties.  User
> agents need only deal with the core citation format. domain specific
> software can be created and utilized as necessary.
>

> On Mar 29, 2006, at 5:10 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> >
> > To me a test of an 80/20 format is can a user/developer reliably and
> > consistently encode the following:
> >
> > 1. articles (not just journal articles, but also for other
> > periodicals)
> > 2. speeches and other presentatiions (like a conference paper)
> >
> > The trick is to avoid genre-specific property names like "jtitle" or
> > "conference-title" and exploit the nested possibilities of HTML and
> > the fact that one can include more than one class attribute.

Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate
research: http://www.cse.ucsd.edu/~mmccrack/
misc: http://michael-mccracken.net/wp/