On Mar 29, 2006, at 1:53 PM, Alf Eaton wrote:

I just think it would be hard for a processor to process a microformatted citation if it didn't know what type it was and thus which elements to look for. If looking for a class="type" inside the citation and getting the information from there is easier than looking for a classname in the parent then fair enough.

It's not any easier. Any microformat parser must be able to read class names. The question is whether "book" is data or metadata in the context of a citation. If no one is publishing it, the answer would seem to be metadata. But a lot of what we would normally consider data is implied by strict citation formatting rules, and XHTML doesn't have the same constraints.

To distinguish the people from editors or other contributors? You could add that information into each person's hcard instead, but it seems better this way. It could have an effect on the display formatting too.

hcard's "role" was made for this type of labeling. The display formatting could be handled by the include pattern:

title="Lorin" class="given-name">L</abbr></span>
title="Jane" class="given-name">J</abbr></span>
   <object data="#a" class="include" type="text/html"></object>

That would display just like the <div class="authors"> container, and it would have the added benefit of producing more descriptive vcards. I don't yet see any advantage in not using hcard to describe people and organizations in citations.

Peace,
Scott