On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Tantek Çelik wrote:

ISO8601 is fairly well accepted.  The battle is over.  So we pick the
current winner and go with it.

Whereas, as you point out, the market for abstract ids, whether ISBN,
pubmed, or whatever is still churning away, so we let it continue to churn.

I think it's a mistake to call these abstract ids are still churning away by market. They are well maintained by IANA [1] [2]

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes.html

With URI you got all these things free, and you don't have to argue about persistentence or uniqueness (which are hollow without concrete schema/mechanism), it's much simpler to directly reference URI RFC.

xiaoming