On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Tantek Çelik wrote:

With URI you got all these things free, and you don't have to argue about
persistentence or uniqueness (which are hollow without concrete
schema/mechanism), it's much simpler to directly reference URI RFC.

True.  My point is that URL is preferable over URN as well, and thus we
prefer to say that UIDs SHOULD be URLs, though certainly per your point we
could say if you cannot use a URL for your UID then you SHOULD at least use
a URI/URN.

Or are you proposing that we say that UIDs MUST be URIs in the context of
microformats?

I would propose to leave UID intact in hcalendar and hcard, because whatever written in rfc2426/rfc2445 and their examples cannot be easily changed, and they seem to work well with hcalendar/hcard.

And I suggest a new "URI" microformat for the purpose of "indicating something *is* an identifier" in general, in this case you can easily reference URI RFC and no further elaboration about persistence/resovlable/uniqueness, because these issues are addressed by various URI specification.

regards,
xiaoming