Le 5 mars 2007 à 11:31, Mike Schinkel a écrit :
png, jpeg, gif, illustrator files, pdf, videos format?

I'll give you those, but there is something fundamentally different about them, i.e. they are for visual presentation not logic and data encoding. And there is SVG. Still, I have to ponder why tools have worked there but not elsewhere. It could be simply because their level of complexity in text
would be far beyond what a human could comprehend.

and *pdf* (given in the list)
I could have added, vcard, vcalendar, vectorial illustrator. All of those, I do NOT want edit by hands, even if I had the possibility ;)

Ah, but I would argue they were *first* a format that did not require tools
for humans easily to understand, and later tools were added.  I don't
complain about tools, on the contrary I like them. I just think the
underlying format should not be forgiven its complexity because of a faint
hope that future tools that will make everything alright.

It depends on the context and the
way the technology has been developed, and its level of
maturity.

But wouldn't you agree, people tend to use the promise of a tool as a crutch when they should instead strive to make things in the raw grokable by humans
first?

That is a different issue :)  Human is too broad to be meaningful.

        The goal is really to make a technology
        which is easy to use depending on the
        ecosystem.

then using the argument that:
1. complexity of the technology is NOT important because there are/ will be tools.
        2. simplicity of the technology is a MUST because of "hand authoring".
are both flawed, IMHO.

I'm really happy penballs exist even if I could use ink with a feather.
I'm really happy to have light measurement on my camera, even if I could use my own lightmeter (which I do on a 6x6) I'm really I have not to teach HTML to my parents, and just give them a wysiwyg editor ;)

but yes I think we agree. :)

  QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
     *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***