On Mar 5, 2007, at 11:23 PM, Ryan Cannon wrote:

This thread is about the necessity of profile URIs. I think the problems
started with Scott Reynen's assertion[1] that:

> Profiles are not intended to work as parsing templates.  They just
> identify the type of data so parsers can figure out whether or not
> it's something they know how to parse.

That was not a statement about the necessity of profile URIs. It was only a statement of a simple fact: profile URIs provide disambiguation, not parsing instructions. I wrote that in direct response to this:

On Mar 2, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Michael MD wrote:

I don't see how special cases where something has to be extracted in a different way are expressed in the profiles.

Michael didn't see how that was expressed in profiles because it's *not* expressed in the profiles. That doesn't mean profile URIs aren't useful, just that they don't solve the problem of communicating parsing instructions.

Peace,
Scott