A message went out last night from Larry Conrad to all staff and
faculty about CalVisitor and eduroam. A lot of our faculty travel
frequently, so I sent out a note encouraging them to set themselves up
with AirBears2 if they haven't already and I included a couple of
links I thought might be helpful. Since our department manager thought
it worth passing along to the other departments she manages I thought
I'd share it here too in case any of you might find it useful as a
basis for something to send out to people you support. Feel free to
edit, remix, etc. If any of  you have experience with eduroam
elsewhere already and have any tips or caveats, please let us know!

John

***

A little while ago you will have gotten a message from Larry Conrad
about new WiFi options, but since many of you travel for research and
conferences I wanted to underscore the second, eduroam. This will
allow those of you who've set up an AirBears2 key to log onto wireless
networks at many other institutions.

I know some of you have already switched from AirBears to AirBears2,
but not all of you have. You may find this makes it worth the few
minutes required.

See:

https://www.eduroam.us/eduroam_us_institutions

for a map and list of US institutions that accept eduroam (UC Berkeley
isn't listed yet); see:

http://monitor.eduroam.org/eduroam_map.php?type=all

for a map of non-US institutions. You can also see them as a (very
long) list by clicking on "text" after "List of service locations" at
the top. (Hint: It's probably easiest to use your browser's search
function - Control-F or Command-F - to check for an institution of
interest instead of scrolling to look for it.)

To set up an AirBears2 key, see:

https://kb.berkeley.edu/page.php?id=30571

The great practical advantage of using AirBears2 here on campus over
ordinary AirBears is that you don't need to enter your username and
password nearly as often; ideally, just once.

***

--
John McChesney-Young, Administrative Assistant
History of Art Department, 416 Doe MC6020