From:   Emiliano [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Monday, February 07, 2000 1:04 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: [midgard] trying to get dns and midgard to agree on multiple
 namessites

Ken Pooley wrote:

> I am trying to get from using onename.server.com:8000,
> onename.server.com:8002 to getting DNS and apache to recognize
> onename.server.com, secondname.server.com. Assuming I have
> 122.00.00.00:8000 and 120.00.00.00:8002 defined on my dns server can I
use
> the software definition in apache to recognize those two websites for
> midgard? I am told by someone else no but it seems like there should be a
> way. The option they suggested was to bind multiple IP numbers to my
> machine and then have apache resolve them to the virtual servers.......

OK, let me get this straight.

You have in DNS onename.server.com = 122.00.00.00 and
secondname.server.com = 122.00.00.00, and you want both sites
served by one machine.

This is not a problem for Apache at all, nor is it for the DNS setup.
The only possible hurdle is multiple IPs in one machine.

The 'easy' way is to put two NICs in the machine, each NIC gets an IP,
problem solved.

The other way is what I know by the name of NIC aliasing, and
encompasses
making a single NIC pretend to be multiple. Whether this works and how
depends fully on the unix flavor you use. I know Linux, the free BSDs
and Solaris can do this although I only know how to actually do it for
Linux.

Emile