Hallo again Emiliano,

Thanks again for "being there"  :)  The problem keeps on, however  :(

At 19:19 of 2000-04-14 +0200, you wrote:
(...)
>This is where the problem is. If Midgard doesn't know what database to
>it can hardly connect to it :)

Sounds reasonable. The problem is the midgard database IS defined in the
mysql.db table:

+-----------+---------+---------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-
---+
| Host      | Db      | User    | Select_priv | Insert_priv | Update_priv |

+-----------+---------+---------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-
---+
| %         | test    |         | Y           | Y           | Y           |
Y  |
| %         | test\_% |         | Y           | Y           | Y           |
Y  |
| localhost | midgard | midgard | Y           | Y           | Y           |
Y  |
+-----------+---------+---------+-------------+-------------+-------------+-
---+

>Have you set MidgardDatabase, either globally or for each VHost?

I have set it globally, that is outside the <VirtualHost ...> sections.
However, I now copied and pasted all the Midgard directives (MidgardEngine,
MidgardRootFile
MidgardDatabase, MidgardUsername and MidgardPassword to EACH of the
VirtualHost sections.

I restarted the server - just in case - but the problem persists. I just
get the file listing of the examples and images directories.

So now the end of my httpd.conf file reads:
(...)
MidgardEngine on
MidgardRootfile /home/httpd/html/midgard/midgard-root.php3
MidgardDatabase midgard
MidgardUsername midgard
MidgardPassword mypassword

<VirtualHost 158.126.131.136:8101>
ServerName localhost
Port 8101
MidgardEngine on
MidgardRootfile /home/httpd/html/midgard/midgard-root.php3

MidgardDatabase midgard
MidgardUsername midgard
MidgardPassword mypassword
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 158.162.131.136:8099>
ServerName localhost
Port 8099

MidgardEngine on
MidgardRootfile /home/httpd/html/midgard/midgard-root.php3

MidgardDatabase midgard
MidgardUsername midgard
MidgardPassword mypassword
</VirtualHost>

<Files /home/httpd/html/midgard/midgard-root.php3>
require valid-user
AuthName Midgard
AuthType Basic
</Files>

-- end of httpd.conf --

I do NOT longer get the access denied error message in the error_log but I
*still* get the [Fri Apr 14 17:56:24 2000] [error] [client 158.162.130.58]
Midgard: database not defined for localhost

More ideas?

Thanks again.

Ricardo Marques