Below is all of my specific info... mod_midgard is failing on -lmidgard

./configure --with-midgard=/usr/local/lib
checking for apxs... /usr/sbin/apxs
checking for mgd_connect in -lmidgard... no
*** You need the Midgard library for using mod_midgard.      ***
*** Use the --with-midgard option to tell                    ***
*** the configure script where to look for the library.      ***
*** Check also that both the Midgard library and the MySQL   ***
*** client library are on your dynamic library load path.    ***
configure: error: Midgard library libmidgard not found

This is my log file

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

configure:591: checking for a BSD compatible install
configure:650: checking for apxs
configure:685: checking for mgd_connect in -lmidgard
configure:704: cc -o conftest   -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
-L/usr/local/lib -lmidgard -lmysqlclient conftest
.c -lmidgard  -L/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql 1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_mysql_close
_mysql_fetch_row
_mysql_free_result
_mysql_init
_mysql_query
_mysql_real_connect
_mysql_store_result
configure: failed program was:
#line 693 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
     builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char mgd_connect();

int main() {
mgd_connect()
; return 0; }