On Mon, 8 May 2000, Marcos [iso-8859-1] Aurélio S. da Silva wrote:

> Dears,
>
> I tried to download the files to install the midgard projet in my system
> but was request a password to do that!
>
> Where can i get the authorization to download the midgard?

Using w3m or links, possibly? An empty password/username should
work.

The why of it all: Midgard sends out an 'WWW-Authenticate' header but
accepts empty passwords. Most browsers that access a page first try to
get the page and only prompt for credentials if they hit a 404. It seems
that w3m & co issue a HEAD request first, see the authenticate header, and
prompt for a password. I have no idea what the HTTP RFC says about this.
What w3m does seems legit but unnecesary.

Emile