Collections for partial payments are posted in the following order:
penalties, fees, interest, and then principal.

http://mifos.org/functional-specifications/transaction-processing/loan-payments#partial

I'm not sure if this is configurable - others would need to respond on
that. However this order is almost the use case you're looking to support
except fees and penalties are reversed.

Ed