On Tue, 6 May 2008, Rick Smith wrote:

When the phone server gets the connection from the remote IP, it sees 192.168.15.1 as the incoming IP, and it can't talk to the remote phone because the phone server's expecting the public IP (according to the dealer on-site)

This should be correct.

No matter what I do, I can't get the public IP to appear on the internal network as the source address. I'm pretty sure that's the way NAT is SUPPOSED to work - but of course they're telling me that Altigen works just fine with every other router in the world and "they've never had this problem with sonicwall or ciscos"

I'd bet you have a rule in src-nat that is affecting this traffic. Just my guess, but I bet you have a rule that looks similar to:

/ip firewall nat
add chain=srcnat action=masquerade

If you export all rules in nat and post them (or private email if you prefer), we can offer further input.

*Butch Evans                    *Professional Network Consultation *
*Network Engineering            *MikroTik RouterOS                 *
*573-276-2879                   *ImageStream                       *
*http://www.butchevans.com/     *StarOS and MORE                   *
*Mikrotik Certified Consultant  *Wired or Wireless Networks        *