If you spend more than $250, maybe you wouldn't have to have so many spares.... :)

We've never had a single X86 based MT router fail in the field. Ever. I have over 50 of them running (some for over 4 years). Yet we just had an RB333 fail and die (and take out an ethernet port on the switch along with it). It had only been in production for 9 months.

If you spend the money up front, it saves you money in the long run... less downtime, less labor, etc.

Travis
Microserv

Scottie Arnett wrote:
Below: "I do some filters with L7." No, it is a full P4. I forgot to mention a
few things that come to mind. I am using it as DNS server and redirecting(via NAT) all
DNS activity through the MT to use the MT DNS cache. I am not using web proxy. At the
moment it has a Prizm card for wireless customers(10 total), but I am getting rid of that
and going to a BulletM2HP. I am needing 1 of the 4 ports for this.

I know several responded before Josh on this and he other list, so I will try
to address the others. I would like to keep these below $250. I can buy regular
x86 much more powerful than this for less money. The reason for trying to go to
routerboards is to have standbys ready to go with minimal configuration after
copying configs over and setting them up. The other reason is to get rid of the
mechanical component of the hard drive...a mistake I made from the beginning.
The last reason is to cover all the separate things that can go wrong in an X86
compared to a routerboard.

Thanks for all the replies and I am evaluating all of them.

Scottie