From: "Butch Evans" <but...@butchevans.com>
To: mikrotik@mail.butchevans.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:21:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Mikrotik] IP-SEC vs. SSTP

On 04/08/2014 03:48 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Why is one better than the other?

Short answer: Neither.

Moderately longer answer: SSTP works better behind a NAT and works on
port 443, so firewalls are usually not an issue for these.

REALLY longer answer: It really depends. IMO, with modern options (for
MT specific options), I think a "site to site" option that is better
than either of these is OpenVPN. OVPN works behind NAT and you can
define the ports to be used, so firewalls are not an issue. It is a bit
easier (again, my opinion) to configure and troubleshoot than the other
options. Having said that, the SSTP is a client built into Windows, so
if you have a "roaming" client, then this may be the best option.
Additionally, most other router vendors have IPSEC built-in, so in some
cases, that may be the best choice. All things being equal, personally,
I like the OVPN option.

--
Butch Evans
702-537-0979