Damrose, Mark wrote:

That wouldn't work on my system, and many others.  If you do a
gethostbyname() you'll get the local unroutable address back - since the internal and external DNS for my namespace are maintained
on separate servers.

Not if you query one of the root name servers...

If you are using NAT, then in order to accept mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] (see RFC1123 Section 5.2.17), you'll need to include [ip.add.re.ss] in /etc/mail/local-host-names. Why not read that file?

Gak.  Then we're relying on its format staying the same, and second that
we need to be able to parse the file.

Or we could arrange to export $=R...

-Philip