If a SHOULD could be interpreted as a requirement, there
wouldn't be any MUST's.

There is absolutely no logic to your statement.

All of your points seem "correct" and they are a better way of interpreting the RFC that I agree with. I am, unfortunately, telling you that they state must/should on purpose and they really do mean different things in RFC-speak. However, you are wrong in stating "And, there is nothing in the definition of the RFC use of the term "SHOULD" which says you MUST NOT treat a SHOULD as a requirement for
service".

There is, naturally, an RFC about this... http://rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2119/index.html

Specifically: http://rfc-ref.org/RFC-TEXTS/2119/chapter3.html

Anyway, really not trying to beat you up about this. It surprises a lot of people doing RFCs and I wish they could be interpreted the way I want sometimes too!

Regards,
KAM