On 3/20/08, David Cleaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> NightStrike wrote:
> > On 3/20/08, David Cleaver wrote:
> >> 1) Do I need to add "c:\mw64\bin" to my path?
> >
> > Yup.  I'd put it first, too:  PATH=C:\mw64\bin;%PATH%
>
> Awesome!  After using tar under cygwin (I originally used a program called
> 7-zip) to re-extract all the files to c:\mw64, all the files appear to be
> normal.

Sweet :)

> One thing I noticed, there was no make.exe available.  Perhaps its not
> supposed
> to be included?  Anyway, Since I have msys/mingw installed, I set my path to:
> PATH=C:\mw64\bin;c:\msys\1.0\bin;%PATH%
>
> And I now have access to make, m4, and various other things needed by gmp.  Is
> this the correct thing to do?

That's what I'd do.  It makes life a little easier.  You can also look
at the gnuwin32 project for useful tools on the windows platform.
There's also MS's own Services for Unix (current version is 3.5), SFU
for short.

> > Running it in cygwin should fail, actually, because this binary
> > expects paths to be in Windows format (C:\...)  Using cmd.exe should
> > work just fine.
>
> I have another question, which may or may not belong on another list, but, is
> it
> possible to run shell scripts (./configure or ./config.guess)?  Now that I
> type
> this I'm thinking I should maybe run sh.  Ok, just tried that and when I run
> ls
> or dir it gives errors such as:

configure requires bourne shell or compatible.  You won't get that
natively without possibly Microsoft's PowerShell.

One of these days I'll be able to port bash to native Windows.....

> sh-2.04$ ls
> C:\msys\1.0\bin\sh.exe: *** fork: can't reserve memory for stack 0x480000 -
> 0x68
> 0000, Win32 error 0
>       0 [main] sh 6992 sync_with_child: child 8544(0x2C0) died before
> initializa
> tion with status code 0x1
>    1922 [main] sh 6992 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for longjmp
> sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> Perhaps my sh is too old?  I'll try to update that here shortly.

No, it's just not setup right.  The msys.bat file configures a system
properly based on if you're 64-bit windows or 32-bit windows.  So
start your shell with that instead of starting sh.exe directly.  You
can use the --norxvt option to msys.bat to use a normal windows
console window instead of rxvt.

> >> 4) Why is "c:\mw64\bin\gcc.exe" a 0 byte file?
> >
> > Erm..  because I made a big mistake?  Or maybe you did when extracting it :)
>
> Yup, my fault.  The first program I tried was 7-zip.  Apparently I'm not using
> it correctly. :)  Or, maybe it's faulty!  ;)

It's both of us.  I need to find a way to make these tar files
compatible with normal windows tools.  I think the issue comes down to
hard links.  What I might do is untar it using cygwin tar, then zip it
up again with WinRAR.  See, they're built originally on a linux
system.  It's a mess, I know....

> > Thanks for the feedback!
>
> And thank you for the quick (and very helpful) reply!  Please let me know what
> you (or anyone else) think about my above questions.

They're exactly what this project needs.  Tell your friends! :)