2011/7/5 Earnie <ear...@users.sourceforge.net>:
> Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
>> Apologies for the double email, but it seems I forgot half of the
>> community...
>>
>> Please reply-to-all so everyone is able to follow the discussion. Thanks!
>>

>>> My original submission with the patch is here:
>>> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/libstdc++/2011-06/msg00066.html
>>>

> I'll be interested in what Kai has to say in this posting.  It seems
> Paolo has referred to the "maintainers of the Cygwin / MinGW ports and
> Kai is the MinGW maintainer of choice referred to.  Myself, I would love
> to see wide character support finally make it into libstdc++.
>
> --
> Earnie
> -- http://www.for-my-kids.com

I would love to see this functionality in libstdc++ (and in boost),
too.  I had about this in the past already an attempt for getting this
into libstdc++, but also there it was rejected due outstanding c++-0x
feature question.
The only chance I might see here is by having conditional code for
mingw target via config/os/mingw... part. And have this feature in
code conditional.
There is also another issue about libstdc++, which needs to be
addressed too. Internally libstdc++ assumes that prinf/scanf routines
are POSIX.  This isn't necessarily true for native windows targets.
AFAIK is mingw.org's header-set here using for c++ case then static
functions to enforce the use of the inernal POSIX-variants.  Mingw-w64
uses for those macros, so libstdc++ will use here always msvcrt's
printf/scanf routines (as libstdc++ undefines by default C-runtime
header macros for those functions).  So it would be best to make sure
that libstdc++ uses here internally for mingw targets the __mingw_...
prefixed printf/strto... functions.  So user can still choose, if
(s)he wants to use POSIX or native API.

Regards,
Kai