On 8/8/2011 8:02 AM, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
> Dear mingw-w64 developers,

First, welcome in your new packager hat! Except not quite, because
you've been wearing a similar hat for a while already ;)

(I'm just going to ruthlessly snip all the bits I agree with, so please
read this as violently agreeing ;) )

>   - What we agreed on about versioning:
>     -->  mingw-w64 should adopt a semi-rolling release model. It's
> source only, so (Linux) packagers should just pick a (release) branch
> and use its latest revision.
>     -->  binutils: latest trunk is the only sensible version
>     -->  GCC: latest stable versions, meaning the latest released version.
>     -->  Each mingw-w64 toolchain release will happen for each GCC
> release, and this over (currently) the 4.5 and 4.6 branches. 4.4 is
> not x86_64-w64-mingw32 ready yet, so it's quite senseless to use that.
> Each new GCC minor version will ideally be accompanied by an update on
> mingw-w64 release side.
This will fit well for some distros (Arch), not so much for others
(RedHat, should we ever get there). But the opposite way is... well,
opposite, and I'm happy to live with anything.

> Unless there's a way to cross-compile from linux to mac, I'd need
> access to build machinery. Maybe it would be best to get the releases
> set up on some common infrastructure anyways.
Yeah; there were old attempts to convince buildbot to do
manually-triggered builds as well (optionally from a given tarball URL),
that might be useful?

> In conclusion, the releases will closely resemble my latest Personal
> builds, which isn't a coincidence ;-)
Hey, as long as it works, and hopefully repeatable :)

> Any constructive thoughts are welcome, and help in getting the
> machinery set up. In my eyes, this would mean making my scripts
> runnable on some build infrastructure, and expanding them to work for
> Cygwin/Mac, hopefully without much trouble.
If msys works, it's probably not going to be too bad (just remember that
Mac looks more like BSD in some ways).

--
Mook