On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Ruben Van Boxem
<vanboxem.ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/11/13 Earnie Boyd <ear...@users.sourceforge.net>
>>
>> That doesn't address the side-by-side issue where we need a 32bit
>> executable matching the 64bit executable.  What do you propose for
>> 32bit executable path versus the 64bit executable path?  The reason to
>> install the DLL into the bin/ directory is that the system will find
>> it even if the directory isn't in PATH.  Suppose I execute a binary
>> via an absolute path, one expects it to work regardless of the PATH
>> variable.  There are methods (such as mucking with the KnownDLL
>> registry entry, via a manifest, etc) that will allow you to move those
>> DLL elsewhere but because we are on Windows, it is best to follow the
>> default standard as recommended by the maker of the OS and it may be
>> different for differing versions of the OS.
>>

>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586(v=vs.85).aspx
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376414(v=vs.85).aspx
>

> Oh yes, let's impose a unnecessarily complicated, proprietary, non-portable
> (across OS versions) scheme on the developers/users to account for a case
> which virtually never happens (installing 32 and 64-bit executables
> alongside each other)

When in Rome ...

> Windows was never designed to be monolithic (wrt 32 and 64-bit)... Just look
> at the system32 and sysWoW64 directory in C:\Windows. Install differing
> architectures side by side, not mucked with manifests that overcomplicate
> things.

Actually System32 is a magical directory that when executing in 32bit
emulation mode is mapped to SysWOW64 and the original System32
directory is mapped to SysNative/.  This allows binaries accessing
System32 directly to DTRT.  The SysNative/ pseudo directory doesn't
exist outside of the SysWOW64 emulation.

> To execute a binary in the scheme Kai suggests, either the relevant DLL
> needs to be copied (which has to be done to install to an end-user's system
> anyways) or you set the PATH on the development machine.

Yes, true.

> To be honest, this is the mess I completely avoid by having to seperate
> build directories and toolchains for all my stuff, one per bitness. I know
> this isn't very future-friendly, but hey, I don't want to muck with too much
> muck ;-)

Which is what I said you must do; segregate the bitness differences.
But I'm still stating that the DLL belongs in the executable
directory.

--
Earnie