On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM, LRN <lrn1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11.06.2013 15:58, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> > MSYS itself was badly fragmented by the msysgit
> > project which uses an even earlier version of MSYS than the latest one
> > which is also missing important tools such as "install.exe" and something
> > has to be done to improve this situation. Our hope is that MSYS2 can be
> > adopted by that project and that MSYS never rots as badly as it has done.
> Just to make sure that facts (or my interpretation of them, anyway) are
> on the table:
>
> The so-called "msysGit" project is somewhat misnamed. The git that they
> build and distribute is actually a mingw-git (that is, a W32 git built
> with mingw-gcc and not linked to msys-1.dll), which is achieved by
> heaping lots of W32-specific patches on top of upstream git. With parts
> of MSYS1 bundled in.

Yes I think of it as msys-with-git rather than an MSYS git.

> I'm not sure why they initially bundled MSYS1 with that git. They
> probably figured that without a *nix'y shell git doesn't feel git'ty. Or
> maybe git has mandatory shell scripts somewhere, and they needed bash to
> run them.
>
> mingw-git didn't exist back then (and they didn't switch to it later,
> when it appeared), so they had to update that bundled MSYS1 manually,
> and it went stale quickly as a result.
>
> Anyway, bundling a copy of MSYS1 wasn't enough for them, they also
> forked MSYS1 a bit (added partial unicode support, altered MSYS mangling
> to fit the needs of git better, etc).
>
> So far i haven't seen any arguments in favor of git being a W32
> application rather than MSYS application. I was able to build msys-git
> (true msys-git, built with msys-gcc and msys headers, linked to
> msys-1.dll) recently, and it worked well enough for me.
>
> With MSYS2 that is not even a problem anymore, since MSYS2 inherits
> everything Cygwin has (including a well-maintained version of git).
> Therefore i hope that msysGit will simply die.

My main argument for git remaining a native program is that for programs
that do a lot of file IO (compilers, git), native is faster than Cygwin,
usually by a big margin. If mingw-git supported native symlinks and MSYS2
did too (as you say, via Cygwin) then IMHO that would be the best scenario.
I agree however, that the msysGit project should divorce itself into
mingw-git and a crappy broken MSYS (which should then die). I guess they
had some essential shell script glue (hopefully) in the past, most of which
is probably now done in Perl.