On 11.06.2013 16:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 11 15:43, LRN wrote:
>>
>> On 11.06.2013 15:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> Hi Алексей,

>>> The problem is this.  So far I'm wondering what MSYS2 is about.
>>
>> MSYS is about mixing W32 tools (mingw-gcc, binutils) headers and
>> libraries with *nixy (or cygwinny, if you prefer) buildtools and
>> scripts, with the aim of building W32 libraries and applications.
>>
>> In Cygwin (or when running a real GNU system) you have to use a
>> cross-compiler to build W32 binaries.
>> In MSYS you don't have to. That's it.
>
> And why exactly is that a problem?  The cross compiler is creating
> the exact same code as a native-like compile with the same version.
Cross-compiling is somewhat more tricky. Also do remember that MSYS1 is
rather old, cross-compiling was even trickier back then. And Cygwin had
- -mno-cygwin for that purpose back then too.

AFAIU, it's also tricky to run testsuite when cross-compiling.

>>  it should be obvious that crude
>> symlink-by-copying is necessary to satisfy W32 tools, which cannot use
>> cygwin symlinks or Windows .lnk files.
>
> Not really.  If you need a copy, call cp.  That's what it is for.
> Faking symlinks by copying is just bad.  So you create a symlink by
> copying.  Next you change the original.  The consumers of the symlink
> will never see this change.  This is just... bad.
Indeed, users are able to call cp instead of ln. Buildscripts can't.
Buildscripts (which mostly means autotools) are written with the
assumption that they will be run on a POSIX system, and thus MSYS has to
provide POSIX tools. Just as Cygwin does. Except that Cygwin goes all
the way down to the toolchain and compiles Cygwin programs, while MSYS
stops early, only providing tools (i.e. things that are only used at
build-time), and only those tools that can't be feasibly ported to W32
(i.e. pkg-config and gettext are ported, bison and bash are not; libtool
is a borderline case - is a shell script, but it is also very W32-aware).

I do understand that Cygwin improved a lot since MSYS1 fork, and that
cross-compiling also moved on, so cross-compiling from Cygwin is not as
scary as it was years ago (i hope it isn't; i don't use Cygwin, and i
don't cross-compile on my Debian machine these days, so that's all just
speculation on my part). Still, i'm not convinced that Cygwin is the
universal, all-purpose tool that you seem to think it is
(SquarePegRoundCygwin).

- --
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org