2013/7/3 niXman <i.nix...@gmail.com>

> 2013/7/3 niXman:
> > 2013/7/3 Alexey Pavlov:
> > > Mingw-builds binutils already built with this flags.
> > I know.
> > I wanted to make sure that Ruben confused nothing.
>
> Can anybody say with certainty whether this flag is needed to build GCC?

It is not "needed" per se, but it helps with out of memory problems. Note
this will increase virtual address space to 3GB on a 32-bit OS if it is
started with that boot flag thingie for larger address space is enabled. On
64-bit OSes (which should really be the default on all current PCs, and
which can be run on all PCs that are 10 years or younger), it results in
4GB of virtual address space.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb613473%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I stand by the fact that this really is GCC's problem (it just uses too
much memory), but as this is not likely something that will be fixed,
linking it as large address aware works around the limitation, and
hopefully that extra GB or two will be enough to link real-world
applications for at least some time.

Ruben