> JonY <jon_y@...> writes:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > mingw-w64 may migrate from svn to git in the future, seeing that sf can
> > now do multiple repos per project.
> >
> > Structure wise, everything under trunk will still stay together in the
> > new repo, but any externals, /experimental/* and /web may move into its
> > own repo.
> >
> > Discuss.
>
> Hello, world.  First time poster, long time user.
>
> I know I'm in the minority, but I'd just like to say that I'm actually
> against this change.  We use your products in house here almost constantly
> (Bob's your uncle for that!), and we really love how easy it is to use your
> code base.  We always build our own toolchains, and we are setup to
> interface directly to you.  Switching this up for no apparent reason throws
> a giant wrench into our operation.  With our staffing, we will be fubar
> bundied for all you WW2 buffs out there.
>
> I noticed that everyone in this thread, including this original post, is
> coming from the standpoint of "why not use git?" while I'd like to ask you
> the question, "Why are you changing?"

The better  question you should ask yourself is: why is the open source
world changing? I'm not going to sum up the pro's and cons, you can find
them yourself. git is just a lot more flexible and robust. This does not
make it any "better" than any other distributed VCS, it just makes it
"better" (i.e. more flexible) than stuff like CVS/SVN/...

> Ignoring the endless holy wars, some practical concerns that we have here
> are the dismal support on native windows for git.  TortoiseSVN makes
> browsing your changes and picking the ones we want extremely easy in a
> graphical environment on the platform that you're built to provide
> compilers for.  It just seems natural for a Windows Compiler Project to use
> tools that... you know... work on windows.  (Yes, I know of msysgit.  My
> statements stand.)

You are aware that
a) TortoiseGit exists? Along with a bunch of other graphical clients
b) Visual Studio 2013 has native git integration?

I'd hardly say git "doesn't work on Windows"...

> Another practical concern -- do we now have to checkout your entire
> repository just to get one revision?  git lets you get All or Head.  What
> about  the equivalent of 1234?  Will you provide documentation for users
> like us to adapt to this new model?  Or are we stuck?

Google "git for subversion users". There's a ton of migration help for you
and everyone. There are no hard numbered revisions, instead, there's
branches and tags and commit hashes, which offer the same flexibility.

There are things like a shallow clone (see "git clone --depth=N"), which
allows you to checkout the latest N commits. Note a git clone is often
smaller than the equivalent svn checkout, because git compacts the commit
history quite efficiently. See the previous mails about repo sizes.

> How will you handle all the various things that you currently distribute?
> You have a lot of stuff in your repository, and it all works nicely because
> of how svn treats each directory as essentially a separate repo.  What are
> you going to do about the branches, tags, and experimentals?
>
> Have you even considered other distributed systems?  Mercurial, Bazaar?  Or
> is it git all the way just because it's git?  Git is much more of a "Do
> what Linus says" project, than it is a tool that's solving a problem.
>
> I'd actually like to see you move to a more recent version of svn that has
> a lot of new whiz-bang features that make it more desirable to stay with
> the status quo.  Contrary to popular belief, git doesn't merge/branch any
> better than svn, unless you compare brand new git to svn v1.0.
>
> Finally... why not just set up a git mirror like so many other projects do?
>
> And, this is just an observation from an admitted relic in this advanced
> age (been doing this for over 40 years, I'm at the end of my career now..)
> this looks like a spur of the moment idea that has inadequate planning and
> far reaching consequences.  This is more like what a certain competitor of
> yours often does -- from the hip radical change for the sake of change with
> poor planning and no business case for it.  That only works when running
> for president (ba dum!)
>
> I've seen this happen many times over the decades, and the story is always
> the same.  I guess I'm just hopeful that people today would learn from the
> mistakes of those that came before them.  Or maybe the net just has no
> place for an old engineer anymore.
>
> Obviously, like I said, this is a minority post.  I realize that.  And it
> will probably be met with very little that's positive.  But at least
> understand that you have users here that aren't that vocal that would
> appreciate you not jumping on the latest bandwagon.

I'm sorry to say this, but git (or any other distributed VCS) isn't just
the "latest bandwagon". There's a reason github is so popular. There's a
reason more than half (watch me pull statistics out of nowhere) of major
open source projects are making the switch. Just look at Linux, Qt, KDE,
Android, Drupal, ... Yes, there are those that stick with SVN (GCC, LLVM,
...) and they have their specific reasons.

I'm not trying to convince you, just giving you things to think about. It
seems to me you're approaching this kind of change from the wrong side.

Cheers,

Ruben