On Nov 12 23:10, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> MSYS2 is a software distribution with both (extremely) Cygwin-like and also
> native Windows software, all (usually) launched from mintty.

MSYS2 is a slightly tweaked Cygwin DLL in the first place.

There are applications linked against it, thus using the POSIX
emulation.  Those don't need this function at all.

And there are applications not linked against it, what we refer to as
"native" applications.  Those would profit from this function.

But that's not the major point.  The major point is:

  2. Why include a non-standard API?  Why not provide this as isatty
     function as a replacement for the system isatty?  I'd wager your
     boots on this function going mostly unused, otherwise.

This would only (correctly) affect native applications, but then *all*
of them would see mintty as a tty.

Corinna