> On 2017/4/6 20:47, Kai Tietz wrote:
>> True.  The reason why we prefer such patter is that it works in both
>> languages as desired.  Otherwise we would be in need to write
>> different variants for the languages C/C++.  This looks backward, and
>> it still doesn't make sure that there might be warnings emitted for C,
>> or C++ doing const casts.
> The warning about casting away const-ness can be enabled on GCC6 using
> `-Wcast-qual` (I am not sure about other versions). But as long as the
> header file is in a system directory GCC is smart enough to not warn
> about it even if our user enable that warning, unless `-Wsystem-headers`
> is also given.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> LH_Mouse

True, that there are flags to turn such warnings off.  Each compiler
has its own variants for this.  But well, why we should rely on such
things.  As you already mentioned, are our headers system ones, and
therefore as silent as possible.  Nothing is worse in experience to
users, if they suddenly see warnings, they don't want to see.  And
that all because they enabled some warning flags for "their" code.

Cheers,
Kai