On 6/2/2017 3:53 PM, bob by wrote:
> On 2017-06-02 16:23 GMT+04:00 LRN wrote:
>> On 6/2/2017 2:47 PM, bob by wrote:
>>> Can somebody here write a replacement for the standard cout, that will be
>>> able to print strings and integers, and internally will just redirect to
>>> puts and itoa? I'm only starting with C++, I'm not sure how to do it.
>>
>> I feel compelled to cite my own first experience with C++. Specifically, i
>> would like to mention that at the time i did not understand the difference
>> between C and C++. It took me a while to understand the difference and
>> realize
>> that the programs i was writing were really just C programs, even though i
>> was
>> compiling them with a C++ compiler. I stopped writing in C++ shortly
>> afterwards.
>>
>> I remembered that because you've mentioned cout and printf in the same
>> sentence.
>>

> Do you use datatypes like linked lists or trees or hashmaps? Can you share
> some libraries or code to work with them?
>
> I'm trying to learn C++ just because a lot of code I see is written in C++.
> Pretty much just in case.

glib[1] is the easiest for me to name. In my experience, large-ish C projects
tend to include their own (developed in-house or just copy-pasted from
somewhere) implementations of linked lists or trees when needed. Or use other
utility libraries (google for "C utility library") that complement the C
standard library, which is rather bare by itself.

If you want, you can google for "C vs C++". Also - look for articles on pros
and cons of object-oriented programming in general, and C++ (as an OOP
language) in particular. That might help you understand the current situation
around C++ better.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLib

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org