On Tue, 31 Oct 2023, Jacek Caban wrote:

I find the claim that it's fine to wait for longer to be questionable.
GetTickCount's value may be off by up to 16 ms, so the way elapsed time is
calculated in those helpers may be off by up to 32 ms. I guess that precise
waits matter mostly for short timeouts in scenarios where timeouts are
semi-expected to happen and then the overhead of over-waiting may be not
negligible. I wonder if the observed too short waits are an effect of
measurements problems in tests, but I can't judge on that without seeing
tests. All operating systems will have some sort of accuracy considerations
in this area and kernel is in a better position to handle it than we are.

Anyway, I realize that a revert to be controversial and don't intend to
insist. Playing with plain GetTickCount is probably worth a try, through.

Right. On the other hand, the QueryPerformanceCounter based fallback implementation probably is workable enough for winstore apps as well, I would guess, so perhaps it't not worth making a fuss about in the end anyway.

// Martin