Hi Peter,

thanks for your fast reply!

2013/5/14 "Dr. Peter Pöml" <pe...@poeml.de>:

> I have gotten at least one request with interest for packaging on a recent
> Ubuntu version. Unfortunately, I didn't find any time to look into it :(

a few days ago, the Ubuntu 11.10 build we have used so far with 12.04
has disappeared. I now managed to repackage it at
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/floeff/xUbuntu_11.10/
and managed to make it install on 12.04 as well. There are still some
issues with the Python modules, as I manually need to do touch
/usr/share/pyshared/mb/__init.py__ && ln -s /usr/share/pyshared/mb
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mb && apt-get -f install to
make it work. Clearly it's only a small flag or somesuch missing, and
only reveals my lack of developer knowledge, but I'm getting there.
;-) However, compiling specifically for Ubuntu 12.04 didn't work out,
but then, I didn't investigate further yet.

> There is subversion repository, which lives on the host that also serves
> mirrorbrain.org, and write access is no problem. Of course, sending patches
> here makes it easy to look at them by anyone interested, but many changes
> don't need a discussion really, it depends. There is no procedure cast in
> stone. I think, just let me know and do it in whichever way works for you
> guys. Or if you want a different repository elsewhere, why not...

Unless you have other plans, I think using the existing repositories
makes a lot of sense. Our developers prefer git, but this should be no
blocker in any way. :-) Cloning the repository at the OpenSUSE build
service was just to create a Ubuntu 11.10 package, but if you can
enable those builds again at your official repo, or grant me access to
it so I can do so, my repository can vanish again.

If I send you some OSB usernames, and some SSH keys, can you grant a
few trusted TDF contacts (most of them you should know anyways)
access, so we can have a look? Before changing things, we'd poke you,
but having access to learn surely would help.

What I could contribute is documentation. I must confess I found the
initial setup quite confusing, so I have written my own documentation
that I am happy to contribute. It's based on Ubuntu 12.04, and is
scriptable - e.g. you set variables for the MB database and
username+password, and then can install everything automatically.
That's the way we document our stuff, but it can easily be rewritten
to a regular style.

How do you write and publish documentation at the moment? Via RST files?

> That would be nice :)

:-)

> One big step forward with regard to availability of packaged binaries would
> be to start packaging MirrorBrain upstream on Debian / Ubuntu. It would be
> really great to have somebody with experience in this regard.

So far, I lack insight here, but it sounds worthwhile learning a bit.
At least right now, the OpenSUSE build service provided packages have
some issues, but probably it's just my fault.

> There are probably some things in MirrorBrain that could be improved to make
> packaging easier (Makefiles, for instance) - to make it easier for upstream
> people. I guess, MirrorBrain is not exactly easy to package right now.

One thing I have on screen at least for Ubuntu 12.04 is IPv6 mod_geoip
- the Ubuntu package doesn't provide that yet, so bundling one that
works with MirrorBrain makes sense.

Florian