Hi,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:20:40 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> thanks for your fast reply!

Sometimes it takes a little longer ;)

> a few days ago, the Ubuntu 11.10 build we have used so far with 12.04
> has disappeared. I now managed to repackage it at
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/floeff/xUbuntu_11.10/
> and managed to make it install on 12.04 as well. There are still some
> issues with the Python modules, as I manually need to do touch
> /usr/share/pyshared/mb/__init.py__ && ln -s /usr/share/pyshared/mb
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mb && apt-get -f install to
> make it work. Clearly it's only a small flag or somesuch missing, and
> only reveals my lack of developer knowledge, but I'm getting there.
> ;-) However, compiling specifically for Ubuntu 12.04 didn't work out,
> but then, I didn't investigate further yet.

I see issue 122 about this. I'll look at it.

> > There is subversion repository, which lives on the host that also serves
> > mirrorbrain.org, and write access is no problem. Of course, sending patches
> > here makes it easy to look at them by anyone interested, but many changes
> > don't need a discussion really, it depends. There is no procedure cast in
> > stone. I think, just let me know and do it in whichever way works for you
> > guys. Or if you want a different repository elsewhere, why not...
>
> Unless you have other plans, I think using the existing repositories
> makes a lot of sense. Our developers prefer git, but this should be no
> blocker in any way. :-) Cloning the repository at the OpenSUSE build
> service was just to create a Ubuntu 11.10 package, but if you can
> enable those builds again at your official repo, or grant me access to
> it so I can do so, my repository can vanish again.

It seems that Ubuntu 11.10 was renamed in the openSUSE build service (it
had 'x' in front in the past). I reenabled it. (Do you still need it? It
has been a while.)

I also added you as openSUSE build service maintainer to the
Apache:MirrorBrain project.

> If I send you some OSB usernames, and some SSH keys, can you grant a
> few trusted TDF contacts (most of them you should know anyways)
> access, so we can have a look? Before changing things, we'd poke you,
> but having access to learn surely would help.

Thanks for the offer! I'll send you svn credentials shortly.

> What I could contribute is documentation. I must confess I found the
> initial setup quite confusing, so I have written my own documentation
> that I am happy to contribute. It's based on Ubuntu 12.04, and is
> scriptable - e.g. you set variables for the MB database and
> username+password, and then can install everything automatically.
> That's the way we document our stuff, but it can easily be rewritten
> to a regular style.

Sounds great!

> How do you write and publish documentation at the moment? Via RST files?

Exactly.

> > That would be nice :)
>
> :-)
>
> > One big step forward with regard to availability of packaged binaries would
> > be to start packaging MirrorBrain upstream on Debian / Ubuntu. It would be
> > really great to have somebody with experience in this regard.
>
> So far, I lack insight here, but it sounds worthwhile learning a bit.
> At least right now, the OpenSUSE build service provided packages have
> some issues, but probably it's just my fault.

As long as the Debian/Ubuntu packages from the openSUSE build service
are a little bit cared for, they don't seem to be so bad.

> > There are probably some things in MirrorBrain that could be improved to
> > make packaging easier (Makefiles, for instance) - to make it easier for
> > upstream people. I guess, MirrorBrain is not exactly easy to package right
> > now.
>
> One thing I have on screen at least for Ubuntu 12.04 is IPv6 mod_geoip
> - the Ubuntu package doesn't provide that yet, so bundling one that
> works with MirrorBrain makes sense.

I agree.

> Florian

Best,