On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 10:58:57AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:
>
> > 1) How does everyone feel about having the apache specific web site
> > httpd.apache.org accessible via rsync ?
> >  This then would give you guys the ability to have a fully functional local
> > apache mirror instead of having your users forced to goto apache's server
>
> while i would like this, it leads in some ways to quite complex setups.
>
> e.g currently i have apache.planetmirror.com.
>
> in the past, references to the httpd project were available at
>
> apache.planetmirror.com/httpd/
>
> if we split all the projects off, we will now have:
>
> httpd.apache.planetmirror.com
>
> i am not totally opposed to this, but it does add a layer of complexity -
> instead
> of one virtual host, i will now have to setup perhaps 5, or 10.

If the local references in all the documents are relative to the place
where you are it would be possible to stay with your old solution of
just having apache.planetmirror.com and it would be up to the individual
maintainer to place them where he wants them. It also makes it easier
for educational institutions that only have (or had) one single hostname
for all their mirrors.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer>