To expand on my prior message, CVS is missing some useful features,
but locks is definitely NOT one of them.

The main feature I'm missing is the ability to manipulate patchsets
as an independent object. I often have several independent changes
spanning several files, and there's nothing in cvs that allows me
to select  one change independently from the others, and not forget
any file. Having to go through diff + patch is creepy and error-prone.

The second main feature I'm missing is the ability to import stuff on
any branch, not just the main branch, and to work off-main branch WITHOUT
disturbing the main branch. CVS has got an annoying array of bugs and
limitations in that area.

The third missing feature is the well-known one of not being able to
preserve history across renames.

The last feature that would be useful is O(1) tagging...

Gee, no locking in there...