On 5/5/05, Ian Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2005, Niall O'Higgins wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 12:10:58PM -0700, Gary Clemans-Gibbon wrote:
> > > The only thing is that I run 2 HDDs in RAID1 mirror with RAIDFRAME and
> > > so my kernel is generic + pseudo-device raid (if I remember correctly -
> > > it was a while ago I last did this and I've lost my notes).
> >
> > For such a setup I recommend ditching RAIDFrame for ccd(4), which is
> > in GENERIC and as such actively maintained.
> >
> > The way I see it: cheap, personal mirroring/striping setups, use ccd(4).
> > Real RAID, use ami(4) or maybe one of those external box things.
>
> Except that Gary is using a mirror and ccd(4) claims to provide either
> concatenated or interleaved disks, not mirroring:
>
> "A ccd may be either serially concatenated or interleaved."
>
> and as such provides no tolerance for disk failures:
>
> "WARNINGS
>      If just one (or more) of the disks in a ccd fails, the entire file
> system will be lost."
>
> I use RAIDframe and haven't used ccd, so I'm just going by what the man
> page says...
>

> -- Ian

You must be looking on your 3.6 or earlier box.  Take a look at the
revised man page on line (and presumably 3.7):

     A ccd may be either serially concatenated, interleaved, or mirrored.  To
     serially concatenate partitions, specify an interleave factor of 0.  Mir-
     roring configurations require an even number of components.

It still won't provide all of the configurations of RAID(4), but it'll
do simple mirroring.

--jay